Tuesday, July 21, 2015

WATER We Gonna Do this Week?

Between vacation and throwing my back out...I am so behind in keeping ya'll up to date on what Team Holmes has been up to this summer!  Second theme of the summer was...
WATER we gonna do this week?  
That's right folks, it's water week.  The possibilities are endless!

Here are the supplies you might need to buy for water week:

Mason jar (I used one for each girl)
matches (aerosol hairspray works too)
shaving cream (the thick white kind)
blue food coloring
chalk
white paper
construction paper
water guns (cheap ones from the $ store)
water based paint (AC Moore sells big containers for $2)
strawberries
lemonade

Science Experiment Day 
We did 2 experiments.  One on how clouds are formed and one on why it rains.  My girls love science experiment day, I tell ya'.  I had to tear them away from making clouds to get on with the rain.  I think they would have sat there all day if I had let them.
Supplies for science experiment day
Cloud in a Jar Experiment
I found this experiment on the above link.  The girls loved to be able to "feel a cloud".  We did this one until I ran out of matches.  They just thought it was so cool.  Who knew.

waiting for the cloud to form
Cloud in your face!
 

Why It Rains Experiment
This experiment was found on the link above.  This took some patience for my girls but once it started "raining", they loved it.  Also, the 2 jars "rained" at different rates, which they loved talking about.




Craft Day
We did 2 crafts.  The first was wet chalk drawing. Literally, take a piece of chalk, dip it in water and color with it.  The colors were very vibrant, it wasn't messy and the girls really enjoyed it.  We chose to draw on construction paper.


The other craft we did, I found at this link:  Watergun painting  Well, it's kind of a craft.  I think?  So....here's a funny story.  It didn't really work for us.  We painted and shot the painting with water guns while it was still wet.  Didn't do anything.  Other than get wet.  Then, we painted and let it dry and tried it. Nothing really happened.  Again.  Then I re-read the directions.  Yeah, it helps if you actually do that.  Sooooo....you are supposed to put the paint IN the watergun.  Ohhhhhh!  That was way more cool.  I added a little water because it would take a ton of paint to fill up a water gun.

And then we got some cool abstract art!  I don't have an easel so we just used clothespins on a piece of cardboard.  So fancy, I know.

Food Day







For food day, we made our own slurpees.  Which involve ice.  Which is water.  Right?  Haha, ok, I realize that is a bit of a stretch.

We found several types here.  Homemade Slurpees

We made 2 kinds.  One, which was much more healthy and less sweet, we loved!
Strawberry Lemonade Slurpee 

The other one, not quite as healthy and it wasn't our fav.
Homemade Kool-Aid Slurpee           
You be the judge.

Field Trip Day
For field trip day we headed to Watercountry USA!  This was a first for me and if you live anywhere near Williamsburg, Va, I highly recommend it!  It was not really what I expected and has become our new favorite place.  There are many rides that are multi-person so my daughter, who is not a roller coaster rider, was much more apt to ride things.  We got to ride a lot of things together as a family and just had a fantastic time.  I could stay in the lazy river all day! (I am trying to figure out how to have one at my house.  I'm so not kidding either.)


The last but most important detail of water week was actually something on my bucket list for the summer and was on everyone's daily highlights that night at dinner.  Water balloon fight! However. We jumped daddy when he got home from work and I really think that made it twice as fun!  He did have access to the stockpile once he figured out what was going on.  So it was fair.  Ish.

I don't think sister knew there was one more left...

Last surprise of the day!

Hope you can work some of these ideas into your summer fun!
K



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!