Monday, January 16, 2017

A Reading Challenge & Accidental Habits

Remember my post at the end of December about what I learned last year?  Another thing I learned is that a lot of the activities we do in our life, even more than we think, are just habits. While I was going through "my issues" last year, I started to do less and less of my "normal" activities. One example is blogging.  At first, it was "I just don't have time." But then you find that you are always saying you don't have time.  And if you let life take you over, you have suddenly formed the habit of NOT doing something.  Ever.  And sadly, they are usually things you enjoyed.

One habit that I accidentally broke last year was reading.  I absolutely love to read.  The library is one of my fav places to be and I swear my blood pressure goes down as soon as I walk through the doors.  I can wander around aimlessly with no particular book in mind for hours. I am also a huge fan of the site Goodreads.  It's a great place to keep track of all the books you want to read and those you have read.  (Because I don't know about ya'll, but I can't remember anything without writing it down anymore!)  Best of all, they give you recommendations based on what you have read and liked.  You can connect with other readers as well and recommend books to your friends.

Last year, due to my reading habit being broken, my reading goal was not quite reached.  This year, I have challenged myself to

  1. Get back into the reading habit
  2. Have a specific book to read each month
  3. Read 30 books

There are lots of reading challenges out there and some of them are quite lengthy (and intimidating!).  I really wanted one that was a month to month challenge but couldn't find the perfect one.  So...I just borrowed some ideas and made my own!

My 2017 Reading Challenge

January – A book that was or is being made into a movie
February – A  love story
March – A book that’s been on your “to read pile” for a year or more
April – A book that is based on a true story
May – A classic
June – A New York Times Best Seller
July – A summer novel that is just for fun
August – A book you picked because of the cover
September – A book someone recommended to you
October – A thriller
November – A Young adult novel
December – A book everyone says you can’t put down

I have already read 2 books this year and they have both been great so I feel like I am off to a good start!  Here are some of my very favs from last year! (Goodreads will also give you an annotation of the book, if you want to know what they are about)

2721325322875451   22557272    18950880




Here are the books I am committing to reading in 2017 (now that I've told you this, I am really committed!).  I am trying to branch out!  I love looking at those "books you have to read" lists on Pinterest.  It's where I get a lot of my ideas for what to read.  I would also like to read a classic every month.  But...let's be real, I only read 21 books in 2016 so I will be doing well just to read one from the challenge list and one from this to read list. But who knows...now that I have accepted my new reality, maybe I can start reading again.  It's a habit I love to have.

Image result for the other einstein     Image result    Image result for the vanishing year   Image result for the wonder

Image result     The Secret Ingredient of Wishes    Big Little Lies    A Monster Calls

The Couple Next Door    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America    We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves     A Man Called Ove

Read On!
~K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!