Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Don't Be A Drag....A Valentine's Day Follow-Up

Hey ya'll!  How was your Valentine's Day? Hope it was everything you wanted it to be.  And if it wasn't, well....then let's talk.

Let me start by being honest.  I am not a big fan of Valentine's Day.  I guess I just don't believe that there should be one day where you show people how much you love them.  I mean, my word, how much pressure is that?!  

I used to be one of those nightmare girls.  You know the one....you really need to get it all right for her or she is going to be disappointed and not feel special.  And if you don't get it all right, you will definitely know and hear about it.  I don't know why I used to be like that and I don't even know what made me change.  I wish I did so I could slap some wisdom on you.  (I also wish I could slap my past self!)

I have learned to embrace that everyone has their own way of showing love.  And that is OK. What shows you love and what shows others love can be two totally different things.  You have to appreciate other people's ways of showing you love, even if it's not what you want or expect.  Don't impose your ideals on others.  Let them be just as God made them.  Let them be themselves.  

I know now that love is a precious gift and you can't ever take it for granted.  More importantly, you have to appreciate people's love, in whatever form it comes in.  It is truly the greatest gift.  It is a gift for you to be loved, but it is also a gift to be able to love others.  
 
That being said, yesterday my husband texts me and says, "I left something for you in your car."  This is not our usual ammo and I was wondering as I walked to my car what was up.  Right now, my husband and I are on a mission to get our bills paid off and I am perfectly ok with saying, hey, don't spend money on me, let's just have a beer and get 'er done.  Surely he didn't waste money on flowers? No.  Instead, I got the greatest gift in the world....
Yeah, you are seeing it right.  I got a huge container of guacamole and chips from my favorite Mexican restaurant.  I just about died laughing but don't trip, I was HAPPY!  Some girls want roses, I just want guac.  It was the perfect treat and something that made me feel really loved.  And more importantly, understood. 

As a teacher, I do love Valentine's Day with my kids.  They get so excited about it, like everything.  I had a student who gave me a present that is the perfect example of what I am talking about.  He was so very, very excited when he gave me this.
It's not a Hershey kiss, folks.  It's poop.  A poop emoji stuffed animal that says....wait for it....you're so stinkin' cute.  I was...a little speechless when he gave it to me at first.  Then I looked at his little face, which was so excited and lit up.  I really don't think he knew what it was supposed to be and if he did, apparently he thought it was the best poop stuffed animal in the world (can you call this a stuffed animal?).  Of course I gave him a huge hug and thanked him so much for my gift.  And I really was touched that he gave me a present, and mostly the look on his little face.  No one has shown their love to me before with poop but hey, everyone has their own way of showing love.  And that is OK.

Lighten up and let people love you the way that they know how and can.  And don't be a stinker either.
~K


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!