Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Breakin' Bread

This month I have shared a few things Team Holmes does to keep us grounded and well, a team.  I'd like to throw one more idea out there that is real rocket science people.  Wait for it.....

Sit down and have dinner together.  

I know, I AM a genius!

Dinner, Ya'll!
Now, there was once a time I would have thought this post was not necessary.  BUT, I have been amazed at how many people don't eat together as a family most nights.  Now, I get that this is not always logistically possible.  We can't even do it every night.  Right now, Hubs has 2 classes a week and on those nights he does not get home until 8:45 at the earliest.  We can't possibly hold dinner until then.  But the rest of us ("Just girls!", they like to say.) sit down like normal and have dinner. So, I get it.  But as much as humanly possible, sit at a table and have dinner.  Oh.  And I'd like to add, with no TV and no phones and no anything else electronic or distracting.  You know, spend time talking about your day.  To each other.  (Gasp!)  

Everybody needs to vent but we try to keep our dinner on the upbeat.  Everyone is happy to tell you what was wrong with their day.  But we want to hear what was right.  Every night everyone shares their high for the day and one thing they were grateful for.  This gives us that sometimes rare insight into bright spots in everyone's day. And sometimes what your family members say might just surprise you.

Have everyone be a part of dinner...someone sets the table, some people cook, some people clean up...the best jobs are those we can do together.  I mean, it's nice to be together but it's less work for me that way too.  Just sayin'. 

Having dinner together is a really important part of our family time.  I hope it is or can be for you too!

Supper Time!
~K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!